Role: Xero accounting specialist
Do you love Xero and want to work flexible hours from any location in the world?
Want to use your excellent Xero, accounting and team leadership skills?
At Bean Ninjas, we strive to be market leaders in fixed fee bookkeeping. We define a great ‘bookkeeping experience’ as:
- Fixed-fee billing. No surprise bills!
- Accurate work with quick turnaround times.
- Easy communication with clients, in a way that saves them time.
About the role
We have a team of awesome bookkeepers who are responsible for processing transactions in Xero and answering customer questions via our HelpDesk software. Primarily, you will be an ‘expert on hand’ for the other bookkeepers, to free up co-founder time. You will also have a few bookkeeping clients of your own, to keep your skills sharp.
Co-founder responsibilities you will be taking over:
- Reviewing the bookkeeping team’s work prior to BAS lodgement / tax filings.
- Answering technical questions on Xero, your country’s GST/sales tax/VAT, and our internal processes.
- Handling any tricky customer support questions.
- Project managing Xero setups and conversions.
- Helping the co-founders to improve quality control procedures and SOPs.
- Developing staff and client training material.
More about the role:
- 2-3 hours every business day, with the option to grow this to full time if you’re available.
- Flexible times of day/week (set hours each day, but you choose a time and location that suits you).
- Responding to client queries via our online email helpdesk software Helpscout. All client emails must be responded to within 24 hours.
- Using Xero exclusively, except for looking up information in a client’s old accounting system.
- Communicating with the team with our favourite tools, Trello, Google Sheets / Docs and Slack.
- Weekly one-on-one calls with manager.
Your skills are more important to us than qualifications, but at a minimum we would expect:
- Bachelor of Accounting / Commerce.
- CA / CPA (desirable, but not required).
- 5+ years of accounting experience.
- Xero Certified, have worked in at least 10 different Xero files and have plenty of experience with Xero setups and/or conversions.
- Experience managing and training other bookkeeping/accounting staff.
- You’ve seen badly-kept Xero files and efficiently restored their accuracy.
- You write well: concise, understandable, helpful, professional, and fast. You can build rapport with others solely through your writing.
- You have good attention to detail, so you will write in your application the number of dot-points in this ‘other skills’ list.
- You don’t necessarily have a phenomenal memory, so you know the value of writing things down for future reference and following your old footsteps.
- You can quickly get up to speed on a new client (by reading a notes page or logging into their Xero file), then answer tricky questions about a client’s bookkeeping records and procedures.
- You have experience writing/editing procedures for other team members to follow.
- You enjoy problem-solving.
- You have customer service experience, in particular stepping in to assist with unhappy customers.
- You’re self-motivated and ideally have previous experience working remotely and/or with little direct supervision.
- You have a good internet connection.
- You know how to keep your computer and work secure and private.
- You know the joys of using two monitors (or splitting a big monitor) to do bookkeeping work.
Who you’ll work with
Ben McAdam, Customer Experience Ninja and co-founder
Ben’s primary role is keeping our customers happy, and developing our internal bookkeeping systems. Ben will provide most of your training and support you along the way, including reviewing your work.
Meryl Johnston, Customer Growth Ninja and co-founder
Meryl is responsible for helping new customers find us. This includes building relationships with accounting firms and developing our online marketing strategy.
Bean Ninjas is a remote team located around the world, with co-founders based in Sydney and the Gold Coast. We prioritize excellence over geography, and overcome remote-working challenges through transparency, trust, and technology. We are building a profitable company that small businesses love to use, and we are planning for fast and sustainable growth for the long term. We will invest in your long term career growth at Bean Ninjas, and keeping a healthy work/life balance is important to us. Bean Ninjas is an equal opportunity employer and diversity is an important part of our culture.
Want to join us? Here’s how to apply…
We will respond to your application within 3-5 business days. Applications are open until all available positions are filled, but we’ll probably be hiring for this position every 1-3 months as we grow. Your application will also be considered for a regular bookkeeper position, if desired.