TEAM: Bean Ninjas USA
Philippines – Full-Time
At Bean Ninjas, we make it possible for hundreds of eCommerce entrepreneurs to achieve financial independence and live their best lives. And we do this by empowering entrepreneurs to gain confidence in their numbers and make data-driven decisions.
Check us out in Xero, Tropical MBA, SuperFast Business, Running Remote, our Podcast, and our Blog.
Since our launch in July 2015, we have grown to a remote team of 25 team members across the US, Australia, Philippines, and Europe. We are now an award-winning international accounting firm specializing in eCommerce.
Learn more about Bean Ninjas’ story and meet the team →
So why join Bean Ninjas?
Here’s what a couple of our team members shared about their experience working with us:
We’re growing, and we’re looking for you to join us on this incredible journey.
Cloud Accountants play a key role at Bean Ninjas and are responsible for providing 100% accurate, on time, end to end bookkeeping for our clients;
- Deliver accurate reports on-time
- Respond quickly via email (within 1-2 business days)
- Understand each business you are working with
- Build strong relationships with the customers in your portfolio by being reliable, responsive, proactive, and professional
- Ongoing development of technical skills
- Meet (and exceed) client expectations
- Be an active part of a positive, motivating, and engaging work environment.
- Assist in delivering profitability across the client packages
Cloud Accountants report directly to Senior Bookkeeper/Taxation Manager.
This position is full-time.
As a Cloud Accountant you…
- Have high initiative and are self-motivated: You are an ambitious person and always looking to learn new skills. You have a great work ethic, which is what makes you such a hard-working employee.
- Possess strong technical accounting skills: You will have a solid technical background and know-how to operate in a dynamic environment. You are adaptable, curious, and eager for knowledge – all qualities that make you perfect for this job!
- Are a numbers person, and you love solving problems: You find satisfaction in repeat work that is detail-oriented.
- Are a team player: always eager to collaborate and work with others for the good of your company. Your interpersonal skills will be an asset in this role.
- Have a strong desire to learn and grow in a rapidly evolving eCommerce industry: As eCommerce continues to grow, accountants with experience will be in high demand. This job is challenging but rewarding. As long as you like to take on new challenges and learn new things, we’ll give you everything you need to excel in this role.
- Pride yourself on being organized and systematic – these are essential for building a scalable business and ensuring your team’s continued effectiveness and happiness.
In practice, this looks like this:
- Developing and following a 90-day plan
- Scheduling tasks
- Creating and following checklists
- A clean inbox in Helpscout (inbox zero is your jam!)
- Are process and metric-driven: your focus on systemized, well-defined, and repeatable processes allow for a consistent client experience. It also will enable you to backfill and support team members as needed.
In practice, this means:
- Being aware of where to locate and reference documented processes
- Following processes as defined but constantly reviewing and communicating ways to improve
- Being a Process Champion: if you have SuperHero skills in a particular area. Take ownership of processes within that area and be the team’s Subject Matter Expert
- Using metrics to drive insights and understanding to areas where we can share in the wins or learn and make changes from the losses
- Take responsibility for business planning: be involved in developing a rolling 90-day individual plan that covers:
- Client targets
- Project requirements
- Business requirements
- Possess a drive to improve things: You cannot be satisfied with things being “just ok.” You want to fix every problem you see, and nothing is just someone else’s responsibility – it’s your job too! And when some new ideas or opportunities need exploring, you’re right on board for the ride.
In practice, you’re continually:
- Being an active part of improved performance in the business by drilling into the numbers and making significant decisions
- Identifying non-productive tasks and advising Management
- Improving the way we manage daily work tasks
- Love the flexibility that remote work presents: It gives you all sorts of benefits, such as improved productivity, higher creativity levels, more family time, and a flexible schedule.
In this role, you will…
Be meeting and exceeding client expectations in relation to their bookkeeping service. This includes:
- Build strong relationships, trust, and rapport
- Ensure client emails are responded to within two days (or faster)
- Write clear and concise emails to clients
- Conduct zoom calls with clients when required
- Communicate errors quickly and rectify
- Communicate deadlines that may not be met and why
- Always put the client first
- Liaise with clients tax advisors for income tax preparation as required
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and ad hoc reports for clients and Senior Bookkeeper/Taxation Manager
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts for clients
- Complete accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll processes for clients
- Meet all deadlines and complete work tasks within time budgets
- Review your work to identify and rectify errors
- Cash Coding – proficient in coding bank transactions, Stripe, Paypal, A2X, and other platforms as applicable, can train others, and troubleshoot issues that arise.
- Accounts Receivable – can run end to end from set up, reconciliation, troubleshooting, and maintenance with all Xero add-on solutions.
- Accounts Payable – can run end to end from set up, reconciliation, troubleshooting, and review with Xero add-on solutions.
- Payroll – can run end to end from set up, reconciliation, troubleshooting, and review with Xero Payroll and others as applicable.
- Carry out all End of Month processes to an excellent standard – reconcile all balance sheet accounts – Bank Reconciliations to statements; End of month journals (including intercompany loan accounts, splitting our sales, Inventory, and COGS adjustments); Balance Sheet reviews
- Responsible for ensuring all other client compliance deadlines are met
Training & Development
- Maintain Xero Certification
- Hold a minimum of 2 Xero industry or expertise badges
- Be a software champion for at least three key platforms, actively provide regular updates to the team regarding updates and skills for using these platforms
- Attend Lunch & Learn sessions, Xero, and other external online training
- Maintain and action your Development Plan
- Buddy to new team members
- Be a “Go to” for other team members
- Can assist with onboarding and can take the lead after initial consultation with a client by Onboarding Manager
- Xero Setup – can complete all onboarding tasks to review stage for the Onboarding Manager to communicate with the client.
- Xero Health Check & Catch-up job – can run end to end.
- Being available to respond to team members quickly (within 24 hours)
- Provide support to team members when required
- Provide ad hoc training to team members and can train new staff in basic bookkeeping, Bean Ninjas processes, and answer questions around software
- Encourage team members in their work and development.
Processes & Profitability
- Liaise with Senior Bookkeeper/Taxation Manager about client profitability
- Alert Senior Bookkeeper/Taxation Manager and the sales team of any opportunities for further sales with existing clients
- Understand budgeted work time and alert Senior Bookkeeper/Taxation Manager of out of scope/extra effort
- Update project management system and keep Senior Bookkeeper/Taxation Manager updated on client progress
- Identify efficiencies in processes and systems and advise on software and platforms
- Manage time effectively
- Flag changes in client requests to Senior Bookkeeper/Taxation Manager
- Ensure work is being done on the right things at the right time
- Suggest improvements to make the workflows more efficient
- Increase proficiency with workflows, client expectations, and transactions with client work
- Know and understand regional knowledge like tax law
- Follow policies and procedures and provide feedback for updates as required
- Utilise software platforms to enable a high quality work output
- Attend Lunch and Learns
- Role model behaviour with internal policies
What you’ll bring with you…
- 2+ years of accounting/bookkeeping experience with a US bookkeeping firm.
- Qualifications: You have an Accounting (or similar) degree and ideally be working towards CPA / Chartered Accountant qualified.
- You’re familiar with bookkeeping processes: including accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll processes, ideally in the eCommerce industry.
- You have experience reconciling balance sheet accounts and preparing management accounts.
- You have excellent spoken and written English communication skills. This is key!
- You’re an experienced remote worker: you have the tools, skills, and knowledge to work from anywhere at any time. You know what it’s like to work on your own, so you’ll be comfortable with the independence of this position.
- Have a good internet connection.
- Value confidentiality and data security: You know how to keep your computer and work secure and private.
- Good attention to detail: so you will write in your application the number of dot-points in this list.
- Know the joys of using two monitors (or splitting a big monitor) to do bookkeeping work.
- Competitive salary
- Fully remote – work from anywhere
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- Fun and dynamic team culture (We’re not your typical accounting firm!)
- Check out our benefits package
- Step 1: Complete the online application form below. Get creative here. Send us something that you think will help set you apart. We will be reviewing applications along the way, and if we find someone who is the right fit first, we’ll go with them.
- Step 2: We will review your application, and if you are successful, we will get in touch with our recruiter to schedule a first-round Zoom interview.
- Step 3: Following a successful first interview, you will be interviewed by two of our hiring managers. You can expect an interactive activity that will allow you to demonstrate your skills.
- Step 4: Cloud accountant role announced
- Step 5: Commence work orientation