TEAM: Bean Ninjas USA
USA – Part-time
At Bean Ninjas, we make it possible for hundreds of eCommerce entrepreneurs to achieve financial independence and live their best lives. And we do this by empowering entrepreneurs to gain confidence in their numbers and make data-driven decisions.
Check us out in Xero, Tropical MBA, SuperFast Business, Running Remote, our Podcast, and our Blog.
Since our launch in July 2015, we have grown to a remote team of 25 team members across the US, Australia, Philippines, and Europe. We are now an award-winning international accounting firm specializing in eCommerce.
Learn more about Bean Ninjas’ story and meet the team →
So why join Bean Ninjas?
We’re growing, and we’re looking for you to join us on this incredible journey.
Bean Ninjas has become the premier provider of cloud accounting solutions to eCommerce businesses looking to scale past seven figures.
We have expanded our US presence and are looking for an Accounting Manager to:
- Deliver high quality and timely bookkeeping & accounting services through the oversight of work performed by a team of bookkeepers;
- Maintain a strong relationship with a portfolio of customers by managing queries, questions and assisting with problem-solving;
- Prepare and confidently deliver advanced finance deliverables such as cash flow, budgeting, and other ad hoc management reports to your portfolio of clients;
- Provide key insights and advisory through in-depth analysis of the financial performance of your clients’ businesses, and discuss your findings with them;
- Coach and mentor bookkeeping team members;
- Understand and contribute to the enhancement of internal processes and procedures;
- Deliver accounting and bookkeeping work when required (during the onboarding phase of each client).
Accounting Managers report directly to the Director of Accounting Services. As our team develops, management and director opportunities will evolve within this division of Bean Ninjas.
This position is part-time. However, open to full-time for the right candidate. You must be available to work during US (EST) hours.
As an Accounting Manager you bring the following attributes…
At Bean Ninjas we are striving to be a trusted advisor to our clients…not just a hired gun to meet compliance tasks!
In this section, we look at some of the attributes that will help you to excel in your role.
Accounting Managers are effective communicators, active listeners, and have excellent customer service skills. Typically, they will have a bachelor’s degree in a business-related subject as well as the following abilities:
Leadership – Accounting Managers have strong leadership skills in order to motivate and lead their team effectively and to ensure that junior team members have the knowledge they need to do their work well.
Communication Skills – Accounting Managers possess strong interpersonal skills, which enables them to communicate with their team, give clear instructions, and provide great customer service.
Technical Skills – Accounting Managers are the go-to resource for the technical side of client service delivery matters.
Teamwork – Accounting Managers need to work well as part of a team, to take on tasks during busier periods to help and to be of assistance or offer guidance to other team members.
Detail-Oriented – Accounting Managers require analytical skills and the ability to interpret information from numerous sources to prepare and present reports. For this aspect of the role, being detail-oriented and able to find focused solutions to business problems is useful.
In this Accounting Manager role, you will focus on…
One-Thing: Providing a positive, motivating, challenging and interesting work environment for the Service Delivery team
Accounting Managers lead their team of high performing accountants and bookkeepers in:
- Meeting (and exceeding) customer expectations by guaranteeing on-time, accurate, complete financial reports
- Providing a positive, motivating and interesting work environment for their team
- Recruiting, training and upskilling bookkeeping talent
- Other projects to improve and support the Service Delivery offering
Accounting Manager Roles and Responsibilities
Providing a positive, motivating and interesting work environment for their team
- Managing the performance of team members through performance reviews, training, coaching, 1:to:1 call and career development plans
- Resource and capacity planning to ensure there are sufficient and trained team members to support the client volume
- Support the recruiting and interview processes
- Initiates team staffing additions and removals
- Supports HR throughout the recruitment and new hire processing
- Assisting team members with technical questions and issues
- Hosting Weekly Meetings with Supervisors
- Hosting Monthly team meetings with all junior/senior accountants and supervisors
- Hosting Monthly One on One with junior/senior accountants other than the supervisors
- Managing Unused Capacity for all teams and allocating resources as required (ie training)
Establish Delivery Processes and Training
Delivery of consistent experiences and quality of work performed regardless of who is delivering the effort
- Oversees the onboarding training of new team members through 6 month trial
- Develop and update Bean Ninjas Bookkeeping Processes and Playbook
- Review tools for inclusion to Bean Ninjas suite of 3rd Party tools
- Manages the ongoing review of SOPs and ensures they are in line with how work is currently being delivered
- Ensures consistency of skill sets and quality of client deliverables throughout new hire onboarding and training
Profitability and cash-flow
Delivering profitability across a portfolio of clients
Ultimately we are in this business to make a profit. With fixed-fee pricing, it is very easy for scope-creep to turn a profitable job into an unprofitable job.
Profit is made when we have a keen understanding of our cost to deliver, constant validation that work being delivered has been considered in the scope used to identify pricing, and setting the appropriate expectation with our clients that as the level of effort required to support the growth and scale of their business increases, that we will also look to them as a partner and ensure our pricing is adjusted appropriately.
- Each Accounting Manager is responsible for managing the profitability of their portfolio of clients and advising the Director of any significant changes in effort required.
Throughout our work and in our conversations with our clients, new opportunities may be identified for Bean Ninjas to deliver additional services or it may be time to move clients along the growth journey to the next subscription level.
- Each Accounting Manager is responsible for passing these leads along to the Director and following up on their progress.
Meeting and exceeding customer expectations including ensuring bookkeeping deliverables are provided to clients on time
- We have happy customers and have a complete understanding of and delivering on their expectations
- Reviewing work to ensure it is in line with the Bean Ninjas Delivery Playbook
- Reviewing and updating the Bean Ninjas Reporting Timeline in TeamWork
- Ensuring work is delivered accurately and on time
- Ensuring customer emails are responded to within 2 days (or faster) as per the Communications Policy
Ensuring bookkeeping deliverables and deadlines are clearly understood by the Service Delivery team
- Manages and updates Workloads in Teamwork as required
- Updates Teamwork templates as required
- Ensures all onboarded clients have been appropriately assigned to a Team and an Accountant and that all tasks we are responsible to deliver are listed and assigned
- Ensures that all Accountants have the necessary accesses to client data to perform their work, if appropriate accesses have been granted
- Provides cover for Supervisors when they are on leave
- Performs a weekly review of the Service Delivery Teams Worklogs in Teamwork to ensure they are correct and advises the team members individually of corrections required to their timelogs
- Ensures exited clients are seen through the exit processes and assigned tasks are removed, if appropriate accesses have been granted
Training & Development
- Maintain Xero Certification
- A minimum of 2 Xero industry and/or expertise badges
- Attend and host Lunch & Learn, Xero and other external online trainings
- Maintain and action your Development Plan
Accounting Manager KPI’s
- Email delivery times within 1-2 workdays
- Weekly Report – Scorecards
- Monthly Report
- Checking Client Timelogs on a monthly basis Budget v Actual
What you’ll bring with you…
- At least 7 years Big4/Public Practice/operational accounting/consulting experience
- Minimum 3 years accounting/bookkeeping leadership experience
- CPA and Consultant experience a plus
- An undergraduate degree in Accounting or Finance (preferred)
- Experience preparing financials for brands selling online
- Experienced in Xero/QBO and other related software tools (Gusto, Dext, Hubdoc, bill.com, Fathom)
- Working knowledge of inventory & inventory management systems (Dear, Inventory Planner)
- Familiarity with eCommerce-specific KPIs (AOV, LTV, CPA, etc.)
- Strong working knowledge of Excel/Google Sheets
- Knowledge of consulting business model and tools in a multi-client environment
- Expertise working with private equity, exit brokers, or venture-backed start-ups is a plus.
- Competitive salary
- Fully remote – work from anywhere
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- Fun and dynamic team culture (We’re not your typical accounting firm!)
- Check out our benefits package
- Step 1: Complete the online application form below. Get creative here. Send us something that you think will help set you apart. We will be reviewing applications along the way, and if we find someone who is the right fit first, we’ll go with them.
- Step 2: We will review your application, and if you are successful, we will get in touch with our recruiter to schedule a first-round Zoom interview.
- Step 3: Following a successful first interview, you will be interviewed by two of our hiring managers. You can expect an interactive activity that will allow you to demonstrate your skills.
- Step 4: Offer Extended
- Step 5: Commence work orientation