We are looking for an Internal Accountant to join our growing Accounting team.
Lauren, our Financial Controller is awesome, but as Bean Ninjas grows it isn’t possible for Lauren to look after our expanding internal accounting tasks and she needs an amazing college to assist her
Who are we?
Bean Ninjas is a Xero bookkeeping and financial reporting business founded on Australia’s Gold Coast in 2015.
We specialize in online businesses including coaches / consultants, bloggers, freelancers / agencies / SaaS and eCommerce and our mission is to create financial freedom through stress free business finances for our clients
For more details about Bean Ninjas and our values refer to the Bean Ninjas jobs page.
What’s it like being part of the Bean Ninjas team?
We believe in developing our team and promoting internally. You will go through an initial 3 month training program and will then receive ongoing training and mentoring. We prepare individual staff development plans for each team member to help in achieving career goals.
Who will you be working with?
You will be working closely with Bean Ninjas CEO Meryl Johnston and our Financial Controller, Lauren Cogger. This is a high level role and while you will be responsible for ensuring we have accurate records and are meeting our tax compliance obligations there is scope for much much more!
As Internal Accountant you will undertake payroll, accounts payable, cash flow reporting, reconciliations and assist with end of month preparations. Your role is key in helping the business to make great decisions by providing accurate financial data.
Flexible and remote role
This is a part-time remote role and you will have some flexibility in choosing your regular work hours, you must be available from Monday to Friday 8am -12noon. We expect this role to take 20 hours per week and could expand in the future.
We are a distributed team and most of our team regularly work from home in Australia, the UK, US, Spain, the Philippines and Serbia! You will be based in the Philippines.
Bean Ninjas are recognised as industry leaders. You will be working alongside Chartered Accountants and CPA’s who have come from firms such as Ernst and Young, BDO and Grant Thornton.
What is the position like and what skills do I need?
In your role as Internal Accountant, every day will be different!
You might be supervising our payroll and bill payments, following up debtors, preparing our month end accounts or quarterly shareholder report, updating our cash-flow forecast or helping different managers prepare budgets.
….. or approving the bill for the next Christmas Party!
Bean Ninjas Christmas Party 2017 (Barefoot Bowls).
Who are you?
This role will suit someone who enjoys variety and is a great communicator.
- Very process oriented and good at creating processes as well as following them
- Empathic and good at understanding people
- Management experience or experience running a business
- Ability to prioritise and juggle competing priorities
- A strong desire to follow tasks through to completion
It is helpful if you have both public practice experience and commercial accounting experience. This role is more similar to a commercial accounting role as you won’t be doing chargeable work, however it is still helpful if you have seen how a public practice firm runs (as that is the business we are in!)
You will have excellent attention to detail in order to assist Lauren in her many varied projects including supporting the HR function, including preparing contracts and assisting with the on boarding process for new team members. You are proficient in google sheets (or excel) and love numbers.
You are proactive and responsive and always able to meet deadlines.
You will also have:
- An Accounting (or similar) degree and CA / CPA or other equivalent education
- Experience with Xero, or the ability to learn quickly
- Experience working remotely
- Reliable internet, laptop with camera
How is the role structured?
This is a remote role and the time commitment required is 20 hours per week.
There will be the opportunity to expand this role and increase hours for the right person.
Given the nature of the work, you will need to log on Monday to Friday mornings, from 8am to 12pm, you may also need to be available to have calls with team members in US / UK timezones.
This role isn’t suitable for Digital Nomads who are regularly on the move.
This role is better suited to someone looking for a flexible, remote role at a company whose values align with their own.
Here are some the specifics of the role
- Manage billing of clients, including creating, updating and cancelling subscriptions, managing customer invoices and recurring payments
- Prepare weekly debtors report and liaise with managers about follow-up
- Run fortnightly Accounts Payable process
- Run fortnightly payroll process
- Daily Bank Reconcilations
Look for opportunities to optimise our internal accounting processes through technology while ensuring strong internal controls.
- Running Month End Process and preparing Management Accounts
- Preparing weekly / monthly and adhoc reports for internal managers
- Assist in preparing quarterly shareholders report
- Maintain cash-flow forecast
- Assist managers in preparing budgets for their teams
- Quarterly BAS lodgement
- Liaise with our tax advisors for income tax preparation
- Prepare our Export Marketing Development Grant application
- Liaise with our tax advisors in relation to business structures
- Quarterly BAS lodgement
- Assisting in drafting and populating contracts
- Assisting with on boarding new team members
- Maintaining staff payment details
Special Projects and Analysis
Once the above tasks are all running smoothly we see plenty of scope for interesting project work and analysis. Ultimately we’d like to see this role driving improved performance in the business by drilling into the numbers and helping the team to make great decisions.
How Do I Apply?
Step 1: Complete the online application form below
The last closing date is 30 September 2019, but we will be reviewing applications along the way and if we find someone who is the right fit first we’ll go with them.
Step 2: Get creative here. Send us something (or a lot of things) that you think will help set you apart
Step 3: Bean Ninjas review submissions and schedule first interview
Step 4: Skills testing and second interview
Step 4: Final decision and Internal Accountant announced
Step 5: Commence work orientation.