We are looking for an Operations Manager extraordinaire to join our growing team.
Fiona, our existing Operations Manager is amazing … and pregnant!
This role isn’t just to fill a short term gap. Our client base and team is growing fast and we expect that you will grow with this role and continue on with Bean Ninjas when Fiona returns from her maternity break.
What’s our story
You probably already know some of our story, but here are the key points:
- Bean Ninjas is an online remote bookkeeping business founded on Australia’s Gold Coast in 2015.
- We specialize in bookkeeping for online businesses using Xero and now 2.5 years in we service 100+ customers.
- We’ve grown to a team of 9 staff based in Australia, US, UK and the Philippines.
- In December 2016 Meryl bought her business partner Ben’s share of Bean Ninjas and became the sole founder and CEO.
- The business has continued to grow and in 2017 we won Xero Partner of the Year (Queensland region).
- Our Australian office is located at the e-commerce hub in Burleigh Heads, Queensland, above Black Hops Brewery and a few minutes to the beach and cafes.
Our founder Meryl is regularly interviewed on podcasts and in the press. You might have heard her on:
- Tropical MBA podcast
- Jeremy Ryan Slate podcast
- The Double Your Freelancing Podcast with Brennan Dunn
- Productize Podcast with Brian Casel
Or seen an interview with her …..
We have big plans for 2018!
2017 was a period of consolidation for Bean Ninjas, as we refined our processes and built our team.
Our focus for 2018 is growth and we have our sights firmly set on becoming a 7 figure business within the next 2 years.
Having a strong Operations Manager will be critical to maintaining high service delivery standards as we grow.
What is the position like and what skills do I need?
In your role as Operations Manager, every day will be different!
You might be checking in with bookkeepers on the status of particular jobs in the morning and then spend the afternoon answering billing related questions for our clients, updating our communications policy, running a team meeting and then preparing a report for the CEO….. and maybe even organising our Christmas Party.
Who are you?
This role will suit someone who enjoys variety and is a great communicator.
Some of the attributes that helped Fiona our current Operations Manager be successful in this role include being:
- very process oriented and good at creating processes as well as following them
- empathic and good at understanding people
- management experience or experience running a business
- ability to prioritise and juggle competing priorities
- a strong desire to follow tasks through to completion
You also have good attention to detail, so you will write in your application the number of dot-points in the list directly above this sentence.
It is helpful if you come from a professional services background such as accounting / law / marketing agency, as there are some client facing aspects to this role (i.e. responding to initial enquiries / billing). This is helpful, but not required.
You may also have:
- an Accounting (or similar) degree or CPA or other equivalent education
- experience with Xero, or the ability to learn quickly
- experience working remotely
How is the role structured?
This is a remote role and the time commitment required is approximately 10-15 hours per week.
There will be the opportunity to expand this role and increase hours for the right person.
Given the nature of the work, you will need to log on 3-5 days per week.
We don’t have set office hours, so you will have a lot of freedom over the hours that you work. However you will need to be available during some Australian business hours to respond to clients and also be available to have calls with team members in US / UK timezones.
This role isn’t suitable for Digital Nomads who are regularly on the move.
We are looking for someone who can grow with Bean Ninjas, so this role also isn’t suitable for someone with a full-time job looking for a side hustle.
This role is better suited to someone looking for a flexible, remote role at a company whose values align with their own.
Whilst this role is remote, it is an advantage if you can work from our Gold Coast office for some of January 2018 so that you can receive face to face training from our current Operations Manager.
Here are some the specifics of the role
Bookkeeping Service Delivery
- Ensure that the bookkeeping team delivers work on time and to a high standard (we have a great team of accountants / bookkeepers who are aligned with our vision, so this part of the role won’t require significant amounts of time).
- Resource planning for the bookkeeping team (ie staff taking holidays).
- Management of customer leads/new customer enquiries, onboarding & exits.
- Replying to customer emails
- Assisting bookkeepers in communicating with clients
- Staff recruitment and onboarding.
- Ensuring the team understand and follow internal policies and procedures (ie Data Security).
- Managing team access and security levels to our internal software.
- Managing client Xero subscriptions and team accesses.
- Management of Bean Ninjas internal accounts including invoicing, bills and payroll.
- Manage billing of clients, including creating, updating and cancelling subscriptions, managing customer invoices and recurring payments.
How Do I Apply?
Step 1: Complete the online application form below
The last closing date is 5 January 2018, but we will be reviewing applications along the way and if we find someone who is the right fit first we’ll go with them.
Step 2: Get creative here. Send us something (or a lot of things) that you think will help set you apart
Step 3: Bean Ninjas review submissions and schedule first interview
Step 4: Second interview and final decision
Step 4: Operations Manager announced
Step 5: Commence work orientation in January. Ideally on the Gold Coast, but this can also be completed remotely.